Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, January 6, 2017

MAKING DO 1-6-17


It’s very cold where I am this morning. Wind chills are below zero. Despite the cold, in part because of it, Helen and I will deliver the items from the MUSH Christmas tree at church, to the folks who will distribute them to kids in need.

MUSH stands for mittens, underwear, socks, and something that begins with H. Oh, hats.

It’s going to be cold out there, taking stuff from the church to the car, and from the car to the social agencies. It would be a lot colder without mittens and underwear and socks and hats.

I can afford my own MUSH items now, but there was a time I could not. I was grateful for folks who gave me things to keep me warm, not only clothes to keep my body warm, but concern and friendship to keep my spirit warm.

When we got married, I was preaching at three little churches--Solsberry, Green County Chapel, and Walker’s Chapel. That first winter of our marriage was one of the worst weather winters around here in a long time. Walker’s Chapel had only an oil-burning stove, and its desultory heat never reached the pulpit. One Sunday it was so cold that I preached in a galoshes, an overcoat, a muffler, and bright green earmuffs. The worshipers huddled around the oil burner. As the preacher’s new wife, they thought Helen should have the place of honor, closest to the stove, close enough that her pretty beige coat got a big burn spot on the side.

We could not afford a new coat, so Helen simply dyed the whole thing black. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you’ve got.

She’s done that her whole life, personally and professionally. She taught home and family management in college and high school, teaching people how to get the most out of what they have. I’m grateful that she has been willing to make do with what she got when we got married. No, I’m talking about the coat…

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

 BTW, Helen says the author I quoted, "If they get me, they get me," is Joan Borysenko.



No comments:

Post a Comment