Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, June 16, 2017

LYING 6-16-17

REFLECTIONS ON FAITH FOR THE YEARS OF WINTER

LYING   6-16-17

Save me, O God, from lying
Except when it is to my advantage
To lie

After all, everybody does it
Niece Kira has even written
A book that says so

Half of what we lie about
Assuming I am not lying about it
Is in hope
To make us appear better
Than we are

The other half is in fear
So we can avoid angry faces
And angry voices
And jail

So help me, O Lord,
To accept myself as I am
So that I do not have to appear
Better than real

And help me to acquire
The virtue of courage
Surely with courage
I shall not be afraid

For someone has said that without
Courage, no other virtue
Is possible
And that does not sound like a lie

Then in acceptance and courage
I shall have no need to lie
Except, perhaps, in poems

JRMcF


Kira Vermond, the daughter of my little sister Margey, is Canada’s leading non-fiction writer for travel, finance, and kids. The book for children mentioned above is Half-Truths and Brazen Lies: An Honest Look at Lying

No comments:

Post a Comment