Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, June 24, 2017

MORNING DEXTERITY CHALLENGE-a poem 6-24-17

MORNING DEXTERITY CHALLENGE-a poem   6-24-17

Because my body makes me do it
Mostly against my comfort-loving will
I write my lines early in the morning
Before the light of day takes its stance
And thus my theme is darkness

Yet as the poets tell us
Ad infinitum I might add
The darkness reaches zenith
Or I suppose for darkness the nadir is the zenith
Just before the dawn

So my befuddled morning brain slides back and forth
from hope to blackness just as those tiny bee-bees
try to find a place to land in Santa’s
nose and ears in that toy designed
to challenge the dexterity of Christmas day

That little unnamed thing designed to keep children
Out of sight and trouble
for at least a moment or two
That thing everyone has tried and knows about
but is so hard to describe in a poem

what was I writing about, anyway?

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment