Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, November 4, 2017

A NOTHING DAY-a poem {Sat 11-4-17}



CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith and Life for the Years of Winter…

It is a nothing day
my favorite kind of day
nothing scheduled
nothing required
and so I sit on the sofa
recline, really
although the doctor
says I must sit up straight
but doctors do not belong
in a nothing day
and listen to Darrel Guimond
play Gospel on his trumpet
and listen to Susan Boyle sing
about dreaming a dream
as I sit on the sofa
and drink my coffee
and dream a dream
of long ago
when I listened to Darrel
play

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

Today is the Celebration of Life for my school classmate, Donna Miller Huff, so I am thinking about now-gone friends from my home town, so different now from what it was then. Darrel Guimond was my first friend there, riding the school bus together, when my family moved to a tiny hardscrabble farm when I was ten years old. I was his best man ten years later. He was an engineer by profession, but music was his love, and he was so very good at it, playing any brass instrument with lilt and precision.

Spoiler Alert: If you have read this column in the last 3 months, all that follows is old news:

I tweet once in a while as yooper1721.

I stopped writing this column for a while, for several reasons. It wasn’t until I had quit, though, that I knew this reason: I did not want to be responsible for wasting your time. If I write for others, I have to think about whether it’s worthwhile for you to read. If I write only for myself, it’s caveat emptor. If you choose to read something I have written, but I have not advertised it, not asked you to read it, and it’s poorly constructed navel-gazing drivel, well, it’s your own fault. Still, I apologize if you have to ask yourself, “Why did I waste time reading this?”



No comments:

Post a Comment