Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, March 11, 2018

LONG-RANGE PLANNING [Sun, 3-11-18]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter…

My wife is a management expert. I mean that factually. She has two degrees in it.

One of her management maxims is about planning: The best time to plan for a recurring event, like a birthday or holiday, is while you are going through it currently, because you will learn now what works and what doesn’t. Make notes so that you’ll have them when you plan for next year.

I learned most of my management techniques from her, so a long time ago I started preparing two sermons each week, one for the immediate Sunday and one for the Sunday a year off. I had a folder for each. In the olden days, it was a paperboard folder I kept in a metal four-drawer cabinet. In my latter days, it was a folder in a computer. I always had some material that would not fit this week but might be useful next year. I had a good start when the Fourth Sunday in Lent—or whatever it was--came around again.

Sometimes, though, that sort of planning seems… well, odd.

A wedding planner told our daughter of a recent client. She said, “She had a binder in which she kept materials and ideas for her wedding. She was making notes in it as we talked. I made a suggestion I thought was pretty good, and she did, too, but she said, ‘Oh, that won’t work because of my color scheme, but I can use that in my next wedding.’ And she pulled out a second binder and put that idea into it. She was assuming this marriage would fail so she was planning for her next wedding already!”

There is surely something that needs to be said about that, but for the life of me, I can’t think of what it might be. I’ll put it in the folder for next year and see if I have something by then.

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment