Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, March 17, 2018

RESIGNATION AND ACCEPTANCE-a poem [Sat, 3-17-18]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith and Life for the Years of Winter…

As I grow older it is hard to know the difference
between resignation and acceptance
two really stupid words to use in a poem

instead, being a poet,
I should write of two identical trees in the forest,
one with a nest of robins in her hair,
the other full of chattering squirrels at play
each reaching to the sky
or heaven if you prefer

one with roots like dachshunds,
the other with roots like Rottweilers
the only real difference being that spehlczech
capitalizes rottweilers but not Dachshunds,
since they are little and can’t bite very hard

and let you try to figure out
if my shoulders are slumped or squared
as I write
or “pen,” this being a poem
about full and empty nests in those trees

or if you’re like me
instead of like the poet I pretend to be
resignation and acceptance
illusion and faith

JRMcF

I do pretend to be a poet, but I’m not one really, which is why I always put “a poem” in lowercase letters in the title, so you are warned and can skip it if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment