Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, February 23, 2020

BLACK HISTORY-THE DOORKEEPERS [Sun, 2-23-20]


I suspect that many of the most successful efforts by black people to get white people to accept a multi-racial society have been by one black person educating one white person.

All I remember about a particular one black person who educated me was that she was pretty. I suspect that’s the reason I went to church with her that Sunday night. I was a college student, working in a settlement house in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. It’s almost all Hispanic now, but when I worked there, it had the remains of the huge Czech population that had originally settled it, before most of them moved to Berwyn, plus inroads of Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, who did not like each other much, some Appalachian whites, and Negroes from the South. The neighborhood was still up for grabs, and everyone was grabbing. [1]

I think that’s how I met the pretty Negro girl. She must have been involved in some summer church program, too.

I must have said something about never being to a Negro church. She must have seen that as an opportunity to educate me, for I was awkward and ordinary and skinny, not a propitious “date” or romantic prospect, not worth the opprobrium she might suffer, both from Negroes and whites, for being out in public with a white boy. For whatever reason, she invited me to go to a Negro church with her.

I couldn’t go on a Sunday morning because I was preaching at the Bohemian Wycliffe Methodist Church in Pilsen, its first English-speaking preacher, where the congregation was down to a dozen or so leftover old people, and later in the morning at the famous Halstead Street Institutional Church, a combination church and settlement house, with a beautiful Gothic sanctuary that seated 500, and a swimming pool, and a gymnasium, etc. It had been cut off from its neighborhood, and people in general, by the new interstate right through the heart of Chicago, and so had only 20 or so folks who were able to come to worship on Sunday morning. I suspect I was the last preacher both of those churches had before they closed.

Most churches in the 1950s still had Sunday evening services. It wasn’t “her” church we went to, but one my girl friend picked, I assume, for being characteristic of all Negro churches.

I was used to preaching in small, white, anything-can-happen country churches. I still was not prepared for that black church.

What I remember most were the ushers and the offering. The ushers were very large women in a uniform of white nurse-style dress with blue Sam Brown style sash across their ample bosoms. I learned later that they were not “ushers.” Only men could be ushers. These were the “doorkeepers.” Once the service started, they stood in front of the exit doors, their ample arms crossed over their ample bosoms. It was clear that no one was to leave before the benediction.

Well, more importantly, before the offering. There were no offering plates passed. We were required to march up to the front and pass in front of a table where the church officers sat and put our offering onto the table top, where they could see it.

Our first pass—although I had no idea it was going to be our first—I got out a dollar, which was what… maybe like $10 now? My “date” hissed at me, “Don’t put that much down.” I thought she was just being cheap, so I laid it down in front of the officers, feeling quite satisfied with myself, since most folks were putting down only change.

Which was not enough. Apparently there was an unspoken goal, and we had not matched it. We were all required to march by the table… it seems like several times, but probably only two more times. I do remember that the last time, I was down to a nickel.

Black History month is almost over, for this year. Its purpose is to educate all of us about our obliterated and ignored history of race relations. As I reflect on my own black history education, I realize that the best education probably does not take place on TV or in classrooms, but just through one black person taking the trouble to show one white person what her life and culture are like.

We all have the same problems; we just deal with them in different ways.

John Robert McFarland

1] Negro was the respectful designation then. As “black” became popular, many Negroes resisted using it more than white folks did. “Black” had always been associated with “bad,” like “a black heart.” I’ve always tried to stay up to date on the correct name for any group, but sometimes it’s difficult, especially if there are different ideas among the members of that group about what is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment