Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, February 3, 2020

ODE TO A SUNNY DAY IN WINTER [M, 2-3-20]


Last night I could not sleep a wink
and so they took me to the shrink

He crossed his eyes and pulled his beard
and said, “Oh, my, you’re really weird.

Your days are nights and your nights are days
You shuffle along like in a haze

When the time comes you are not ready
and your gait and gaze are from steady

You dress in plaids that number four
if you could you’d wear some more

You laugh hysterically with glee
but when you slap you miss your knee

You say strange things in public places
creating red embarrassed faces

Your downs are up and your ups are down
You can never seem to find a noun

The names of your children you forget
while remembering those you’ve never met

You think that any word’s sublime
as long as you can make it rhyme

You seem to think you are just tired
but everyone says you’ve come unwired

The cat scan shows your brain’s on meth
odism which is close to death

It may just be my painful molar
but the evidence shows you are bi-polar.”

As I left I said to the shrink
“This, old friend, is what I think…

You might believe that I’m bi-polar
but in winter it’s just that I’m powered by solar.”

John Robert McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment