Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, February 17, 2020

KNOWING WHICH SIDE YOU’RE ON [M, 2-17-20]


What do you do when you’re too old or feeble or out of it to “do” Christianity?

St. Mark’s is really into doing faith. We volunteer for every good cause. We host every good cause. We support every good cause. We visit the sick and those in prison. We feed people who are hungry. We house people who are homeless. We give coffee to people who are… well, that one may not be in the sermon on the mount. [Mt 5-7] We are the perfect model of what a church should be. And I feel left out. Like I don’t belong. Because I’m too “puny and feeble” to do faith.

“Puny and feeble” was what the membership secretary wrote beside the names of certain people in the Solsberry Methodist membership book, when I was a nineteen-year-old pastor, so that I would know not to expect those folks to do Christian stuff, like serve on committees.

Now, I’m on the “puny and feeble” list. I’ll bet Jesus would have been, too, had he gotten as old as I am.

Remember, Jesus was only 32 or so when he was saying all that stuff about doing faith. What if he’d lived another 50 years? Or 60?

Well, a lot of that stuff he’d still be saying. You can turn the other cheek, turn away from anger and revenge, at any age. [Mt 5:38-39] You can put your faith in God instead of bigger barns at any age. [Luke 12:18-21]

It’s a lot harder, though, to take that guy on the Jericho road to the hospital when you’re too old even to get out on the road, especially if you have to guide that donkey at night. [Lk 10:25-37] And you can’t dig a hole in the roof of the hospital to let a friend down to where the healing happens because you can’t climb ladders anymore. [Mark 2:3-4]

As I mentioned in the Christ In Winter for Feb. 15, I wanted to address this issue when I preached my final sermon, at St. Mark’s, almost exactly a year ago now. I was going to tell about Uncle Jesse. But I had to leave that story out because we ran short on time.

My mother’s brothers were all tall and handsome men, but Jesse, third of the four boys--the one my father said was most like the grandfather I never knew, because he was killed in a coal mine cave-in before I was born--stood out even in that group. Curly hair, great smile, Navy pilot… but no athlete.

Ted, his oldest brother, had been a high school basketball star. Likewise, Claude and Johnny. In small town Indiana, that was the ticket to acceptance. Jesse was on the team, because the school was so small, but he was so bad the coach never put him into a game.

Until the inevitable happened. Seven boys on the team. One fouled out. In went the sixth man. Then another fouled out. Only Jesse was left. Tie score. Less than a minute to go. And only Jesse was left.

“Go in,” the coach told him, “but just stand there. Don’t touch the ball.”

Jesse did as he was told. But the inevitable happened again. The ball came right at him. He put up his hands to protect himself, and the ball stayed there. He knew he wasn’t supposed to touch the ball, so he threw it up into the air to get rid of it. Of course, the ball came down, right through the basket. Two points. For the other team. The only basket he ever scored was for the wrong team, and cost his team the game.

When the McFarlands get together they tell funny stories. The Ponds don’t get together anymore, not enough left. But they used to. Lots of them then. Their idea of humor was to tease people unmercifully. So every time Uncle Jesse was there, they told the story of his basketball misadventure.

I was a high school basketball player myself then, and I was mortified. “How can you stand hearing that story?” I asked Uncle Jesse once. He just smiled that wonderful smile of his and said, “I always knew which side I was on.”

John Robert McFarland


No comments:

Post a Comment