Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, June 13, 2020

THE DAY OF ACCEPTANCE [Sa, 6-13-20]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter
THE DAY OF ACCEPTANCE   [Sa, 6-13-20]

I have washed up
the dishes from last
night’s loving supper
most recent of almost
five thousand meals
prepared by those worn
hands, so, indeed, “Bless
the hands that prepared it.”

I taste the coffee
from the cup
my friend, Gary, made
many years ago

Thou art the potter
I am the sipper

And I am already tired

Not the fatigue
of spirit or of soul
but a reminder
from my body
that I am old
for this is the way
of old bodies

weary at the start of day

That is okay
for I know
that in age
as in youth
I am accepted

The sun’s first forays
at the horizon proclaim
it, as do the birds
with their songs
and the leaves
with their waving
even the rocks
beneath my feet
that have sometimes
caused the stumbling

They proclaim it
far better
than any theologian
can; This is the day
of acceptance.

John Robert McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment