Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Happy Childhood

A preacher who was known for the plodding and pedestrian [1] nature of his sermons was stunned one day after church when a man said to him, “That sermon changed my life.”

“How in the world…” the preacher sputtered.

“Well, it was when you said, ‘I have now finished the first part of my sermon, and I shall go on to the second part.’ I thought, that’s right. I have finished the first part of my life. It is now time to go on to the second part.”

Sometimes God uses even the most prosaic word to help us hear the Word.

At my 55 year high school reunion in June, I had to fill in for Jim Shaw when it came time for the prayer, because he was sick, and much to his chagrin, he could not come. [He’s okay now.]

That was a first! I don’t think anyone would have guessed, at any time over the past 65 years, that Jim would be asked to pray ahead of me.

Especially not after our 25 year reunion, when he was a bitter man. He had just suffered through a divorce in which he thought he had been treated unjustly. He was not on good terms with his children. He had nothing good to say about anyone or anybody.

Then he got involved in a church. For the usual reason—he was dating a woman who went to that church. That relationship did not last, but Jim had found a home in the church. The woman left, but he stayed. At first, he just made himself useful around the building, mowing the grass, fixing things up. But he gradually became more involved in the spiritual fellowship. Today, he is the FIRST guy people ask to pray!

I’ve always appreciated Jim. He is the direct reason I went to college. Now I appreciate him because he is a wonderful example of someone who re-invented himself. He decided that the first part of this life was over, and it was time to go on to the second part.

Regardless of how old you are, the first part of your life is over. It’s now time to go on to the second part. That’s the part in which you have a chance, like Jim, to re-invent yourself.

“It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”


[1] As a child, I got “pedestrian” and “Presbyterian” mixed up, which created specific problems when I saw “Pedestrian Crossing” signs. Since I was not Presbyterian, I was not sure I could cross there.
I’m sure the preacher’s pedestrian sermon was not also Presbyterian.

No comments:

Post a Comment