Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, July 1, 2018

AN ADDICT’S COMMUNION SUNDAY PRAYER [Sun, 7-1-18]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter…


Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
It will end like my other first days.
I shall take a drink,
because others take a drink.
They do not get drunk,
so why should I?

It is a normal thing,
a joyful thing,
to drink of the juice of the vine.
It is sometimes called communion;
is that not good?
So why can I not be like others?

Then I have another drink
because I did the first so well.
After all, communion is so sweet and right.
There is a table for communion.
Soon I am under it,
unable to move, full of remorse,
washing my dirty feet with my tears.

Then I vow that I shall bear no more first days
nor make them bear me away,
because they always end like this,
with the vow that I shall be a new self,
which I am for an hour or a day or even a week.

It is time to start at the end,
skip all the chapters in the middle,
the way the Jesus story starts at the end.
It is called resurrection…

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment