Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, August 25, 2018

I LISTEN FOR BASSOONS-poem [Sat, 8-25-18]


Reflections on Faith and Life for the Years of Winter…

I know not why God chose me
For the bassoon, or why God chose
The bassoon for me
Perhaps because I so easily lead
A double life, which is doubled
By the bassoon’s own double reed

What have you come here to hear?
A bruised reed, squeaking in the desert?

I stand in the middle
An ear for either side
Between the law and mercy
Between sin and salvation
Between the lost and found

Between the human race and amazing grace

I listen for bassoons

JRMcF

Billy Collins on how transient are our lives, and insignificant in the total scheme of things, like “soap bubbles floating above a children’s party.”

No comments:

Post a Comment