Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, August 19, 2018

TOO SMALL TO CARE ABOUT [Su, 8-19-18]


Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter… 

In the Christ in Winter column for April 25, I told of how Helen and I went to worship at the Solsberry, IN church, where I started preaching when I was a nineteen year old college sophomore—our first time back in 58 years--and how I closed the circle when the current pastor there, Matt Whitaker, asked me to give the benediction.

At the start of that worship service, Matt told this story: He was a kid in school. The teacher asked him to solve a math problem. “What is ¾ of 5/16?” He didn’t have to do it in his head. She gave him two minutes. That wasn’t enough, though.

When his time was up, he said, “I don’t know the answer, but it’s too small to care about.” He was sent to the office for being a smartass.

But the point is well-taken. Some problems aren’t worth solving because the answer is too insignificant to care about.

JRMcF

No comments:

Post a Comment