Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, January 5, 2020

NUMBERED HAIRS [Su, 1-5-20]


REFLECTIONS ON FAITH & LIFE FOR THE YEARS OF WINTER: NUMBERED HAIRS    [Su, 1-5-20]

I have a woman friend who has a rare and mysterious skin illness. The doctors say no one knows what causes it or how to treat it. One result of it is that she is losing her hair.

That’s more traumatic for a woman than a man. Men in general don’t prefer baldness, but it’s no big deal if we have no hair on our heads. Some guys even shave their heads, choosing the bald look. I did not choose it, but I’ve been bald and white-bearded since I was 15, or thereabouts, so the comment I get most often is, not necessarily with approbation, “You haven’t changed a bit.”

If a woman loses her hair, though, it’s more than just a bit of change. The change to her sense of self is even greater than to her physical being. [Yes, I checked this insight with women to be sure I have it right.]

I thought I would get sympathy when my right leg went bald when I had chemo. Nobody knew why, and nobody was much interested. They shrugged their shoulders, the ones hair down to them, and went on.

Not so with Helen. She got lots of sympathy.  Her hair dresser cried when she cut off the rest of Helen’s hair as her chemo progressed. She knew what that meant. Helen got a wig, wore it in public. Sometimes she forgot it was on and so singed her bangs one day when she got too close to the oven. When her own hair returned, she burned the wig. It was an occasion.   

Jesus says that even the hairs of our heads are numbered; that’s how carefully God pays attention to us. Perhaps that’s the only thing we really need to know from all of Christian history and theology: God cares about you, and about me. “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me.”

I’m not sure I want that much attention from God. I do lots of things I’d rather God not know about. But I don’t have many hairs on my head, so maybe God won’t notice. You hairful people are on your own.

John Robert McFarland






No comments:

Post a Comment