Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

YOUR BRAIN ON STORIES [T, 1-28-20]


One old man, meaning he’s about my age, asks me every Sunday when we encounter each other in a hallway or the sanctuary at St. Mark’s, “You have any jokes today?”

Well, no, I don’t, but I understand his confusion.

When I preached my final sermon, almost a year ago now, I said some funny things as I conducted worship, and I told some humorous stories in the sermon.

I also did some funny things. I had to get two big college boys from the choir—a tenor and a baritone—to help me get up after the children’s time because I had made the mistake of sitting down on the floor. Old people not only say funny things, we are fun to watch.

We laughed together a lot during that hour. One woman said after worship that day that I am a stand-up comedian. I take that as a compliment, because the best stand-up comedians don’t just throw disconnected one-liners, one after another, the way Bob Hope or Henny Youngman used to do. They tell stories.

I’m not opposed to stand-alone jokes. They can be funny. But I think the best humor comes in story form. My friend at church rightly wants to laugh, so he asks me for a joke. I used to tell jokes, and that’s okay, but now I tell stories, and I doubt that either Ken or I could stand up long enough without falling over for me to tell him a story. [When I wasn’t being helped by choir members when I preached last February, I hung onto the pulpit with both hands.]

That reminds me of the story of the man who fell off a cliff and had grasped onto an exposed tree limb by one hand. “Help,” he cried. “Is there any one up there?” “Yes, I’m God. I’m up here.” “Help me, God,” the man cried. “Okay,” said God, “let go of the limb.” The man looked down and then called, “Is there anyone else up there?”

That story is funny, and it does not require explanation. We’ve all hung onto that limb at one time or another.

Randy Estes, our son by reverse adoption [he adopted us] recently posted a piece about what happens to our brains as we tell or listen to stories. What happens is good. On stories, our brains are more fully engaged than in any other kind of listening. They release dopamine, that “drug” that makes us feel pleasure. Our brains get healthy on stories.

There is an old preacher story about old preacher stories. Back in the days of a “swapping” economy in rural places, one church member asks a member from another church, “What do preachers do at those conferences they go to?” “They trade stories.” “Hmm, I think our preacher gets cheated.”

Well, that’s okay. A bad story is better than no story. We find our place in The Story by hearing and telling the stories. If no one else will listen to your story, let go of the limb and tell it to God.

John Robert McFarland




No comments:

Post a Comment