Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, January 9, 2020

THE RABBIT BITE SCAR [R, 1-9-20]


Helen said, apropos of nothing, “I’ll bet I’m the only person in town who has a scar from a rabbit bite.”

I, of course, said nothing, because there was nothing to say, although I was silently wondering how to get her into the “special” unit at Shady Rest.

“I’ve been thinking,” she continued, “of things that are distinctive to me. That rabbit bit me when I was only four, and the scar still shows. I’m sure that must be unique.”

I didn’t want to say that I see people with rabbit bite scars in the “special” unit at Shady Rest all the time, so I went along with her assumption.

“I’ve got a knife scar, too,” she said, “but lots of people have those.” Yes, she went to high school in Gary, Indiana, so that figures.

It got me to thinking, though, about those scars that are unique to each of us. Sometimes people see them, but they would never guess that they come from a rabbit, or a giant angry beaver, or some other furry impositioner.

That’s okay, for certain things to be for each of us alone to know.

In Now That I Have Cancer I Am Whole I wrote a chapter about how when I die all the memories that are mine alone will die with me. Many readers have said it’s their favorite chapter. It’s poignant and personal. Everyone understands. When I wrote it, it made me at least wistful, if not downright sad.

Now, though, I see it in a somewhat different light. There are certain memories that are mine alone. Like the delighted look on Helen’s face when she decided no one else can match her rabbit scar. Like the surprised look on her face the first time I kissed her. It’s okay that the memories that are mine alone should go with me alone, wherever I journey. You, too.

John Robert McFarland


No comments:

Post a Comment