Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, May 9, 2020

THE CRUMBS OF HEALING [Sa, 4-25-20]


Christ In Winter-Reflections on Faith & Life for the Times of Winter
THE CRUMBS OF HEALING  [Sa, 4-25-20]




I should conserve
the scattered little
crumbs of healing
energy that remain
to me in case
I must fight
the virus

While I sit at the table
reserved for those
whose fronts are
spattered with the years
of dropping crumbs
to find one’s way
into the past

I should sweep them off, the crumbs,
off the table into my hand
as from the remains
of a round loaf
dill bread
drop them
into my shirt pocket
my good plaid shirt
have them ready
for the day
of the covid

but then comes
that desperate mother
foreign in dress and tongue
begging Jesus
to ignore the laws
of race and purity
just this once for the sake
of her little girl

let her be like a dog
under the table
licking up the crumbs
of healing

so I sweep them down
the crumbs not
into my own hand
but to that mother
holding her child
so close
below this table
of the nearly dead

I know what it is
to yearn for healing
for a child

John Robert McFarland

Mt. 15:21-28.

No comments:

Post a Comment