Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, May 16, 2020

WOULD JESUS WEAR A MULLET? [Sa, 5-16-20]


“DAILY” DEVOTION—Waiting For the Spirit
WOULD JESUS WEAR A MULLET?  [Sa, 5-16-20]




I am worried about my hair. Yes, I am bald, but I do have hair, on the sides and back of my head, nice pretty white hair. And they are numbered, Jesus assures me. I’m sure, however, that whichever angel is assigned to counting my hairs feels it lucked out. I’m worried, though, since my hair is getting long, because, like everyone else in this pandemic time, I’ve not had a haircut in two months.

Wait a minute! My wife cuts my hair. Has for 60 years. If there is anybody who can get a haircut these days, I’m the guy!

It just seems wrong, though, to look spiffy--especially in my Zoom meetings with The Crumble Bums and The RAPSOGIE [Royal & Philosophical Society of Guys In Exile]--while my friends are being forced into ponytails and mullets.

It’s why I hobble around when I walk, and act like I’m about to fall over, and run into furniture. I see other old people doing those things, and I don’t want them to think I’m unsympathetic to their plight. So, I do them, too. Yes, so that I’ll fit in, the same way we wanted to fit in when we were teens, by acting like all the cool teens. Now I try to act like all the cool old people.

Also, though, I do it as an act of solidarity. I don’t have to groan when I get up off the sofa, but I do it to say, “I’m with you.” Also to warn bystanders to get out of the way, because I’m heading for the bathroom.

Of course, these days, since I’m never in public and nobody comes into our house, there aren’t many people to notice those acts of solidarity. Yet I wear a mask, and wash my hands, the way I know others must. Those are acts of solidarity. That is not just physical solidarity, it is spiritual solidarity.  It’s the answer to WWJD?

JRMcF

No comments:

Post a Comment