Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, May 3, 2020

THE PURPOSE OF LIFE [Su, 5-3-20]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Times of Winter
THE PURPOSE OF LIFE                  [Su, 5-3-20]
[Lectionary scripture for today is John 10:1-10.]

When daughter Katie was home after her first year at IU, I heard her one day muttering imprecations, throwing objects, breaking pencils. I went to her room to see what was wrong.

“I’m registering for my classes for next semester.”

“Oh, can’t you get all the electives you want?”

“No, I can’t get my schedule so that the classes don’t interfere with my social life.”

Now, this is not a good thing to say to a man who is paying out-of-state tuition.

I ranted. I raved. “Where in the world,” I shouted, “did you get the idea that the purpose of life is to have a good time?”

She looked up at me so sweetly, and said, “From listening to you preach.”

I was stunned. Me? The Rev. Mr. Responsibility? The Rev. Dr. Duty? My preaching?

Well, I am an American, and our purpose is “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of… money…” Well, that surely seems accurate… but no, that’s not it… The pursuit of… sex? You’d think so, but that’s not quite right, either. The pursuit of fame? Again, seems to be, but no. The pursuit of happiness, that’s what Americans are all about.

And I’m a Christian. And what is Christ all about? “I’m here, let’s party,” as he says in the lectionary scripture for today. The purpose of life is to have a good time!

I was surprised it had taken me so long to see it. I had even been preaching it all those years, and hadn’t even heard it.

Katie got her classes worked out well enough over the next years to graduate.

But I wasn’t there to see her march at commencement. I was in Nicaragua, in the midst of the Contra war, on a mission trip to take sewing machines to women whose husbands and sons had been killed in the war, so they could make a living through a sewing cooperative.

After her commencement event, I called Katie. We chatted. I asked about the ceremony. “It was great. I had lots of cords on my shoulders. Honors grad of the Honors Division. Something cum laude. Rhodes and Truman scholarship nominations. Certificate from the Slavic Institute. Phi Beta Kappa.” [Actually, she didn’t say any of that; I just put it in here to brag.]


“Well,” I said, “what I really want to know… Did you have a good time?”

There was a somewhat strained silence, all the way from Bloomington, Indiana to Managua, Nicaragua, and then she said, “Of course I had a good time. I am a Christian, you know.”

John Robert McFarland

John 10:10 is usually translated, “I am here that they might have life and have it abundantly.” That means, “I’m here, let’s party.”

No comments:

Post a Comment