Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, January 19, 2015

Marching With King for the Soul of the Nation

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

MLK Day is surprisingly warm for the UP in January, about 20 degrees. It was a lot hotter on the day I marched into Montgomery with Martin Luther King, Junior, along with a whole lot of other folks, and especially my dear friend, the late Andre’ Hammonds, the first black man to receive a PhD from the U of TN.

We were not congregating there simply to advocate for equal rights for all, as admirable as that might be, but for the very soul of the nation. Democracy and equality before the law are always under siege. Every time that we push back against the reactionary forces that want special privileges and status for some at the expense of others, it is soul work.

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I used to keep a careful index of all the things I told in this blog so that I would not repeat. That has become unwieldy. Now I just trust to memory. Sorry about that.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, n 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/


I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment