Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, January 23, 2015

Those Boring Peanut Butter Sandwiches

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

A man looked into his lunch box. “Damn. Another peanut butter sandwich,” he said.

“Why don’t you get your wife to make you a different kind of sandwich if you don’t like peanut butter,” said his friend.

Somewhat offended, the man replied, “I make these sandwiches myself.”

A young woman I respect a great deal said recently, “I need to stop complaining about my life being boring. Yes, my life is boring, but it doesn’t have to be. I have a choice about it.”

I recently told Helen I was bored, and she said, “If your problem is boredom, you have no problem.”

In other words, if you don’t like the peanut-butter sandwich life you are living, make a different sandwich.

I personally have concluded that a different sandwich is a lot of work. It would require me to get off the sofa. I have decided that instead of complaining about boredom, I’ll embrace it. I shall tell myself that I like boredom. I suggest you embrace boredom, too. What’s wrong with that? Winter is just a boring time, that’s all. Keep making the same old sandwich.

Of course, you do have a choice.

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I used to keep a careful index of all the things I told in this blog so that I would not repeat. That has become unwieldy. Now I just trust to… what’s the word… oh, yes, memory. Sorry about that.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, n 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment