Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Shall We Gather-an old preacher joke

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

I love the old preacher stories. When I started preaching at age 19, I collected these assiduously and delighted in using them in my sermons. Most of them are out of date and out of fashion, but I still love them, and I can’t help but think of them when some part of worship reminds me.

Recently, when we celebrated the baptism of Jesus, and the worship service concentrated on baptism and the meaning of water, we sang “Shall We Gather at the River.”

It reminded me of the time the revival evangelist preached a temperance sermon and concluded with a shouted, “If I had my way, all the booze in the world would be thrown in the river.” The choir rose and sang, “Shall we gather at the river…”

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I used to keep a careful index of all the things I told in this blog so that I would not repeat. That has become unwieldy. Now I just trust to memory. Sorry about that.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, n 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment