Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, January 22, 2015

WRINKLED INTELLIGENCE

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

Our friend, Kathy, is now a grandmother, but like most old people, didn’t use to be. In that nether time, she was asked by a little child if she were one. She admitted she was not. “Well, you’re wrinkled enough to be one,” he said. I’m sure he meant it as a compliment, because he knew that wrinkles are a sign of intelligence.

Like most old people, I spend a lot of time reading in quantum physics, sociobiology, and brain research. Well, I spend most of my time eating and sleeping and playing pickle ball, but if there is any left over…

From all my scientific investigations I think I have discovered the secret of intelligence. Wrinkles.

Wrinkles are what separates humans from less intelligent species. The brain has developed wrinkles in order to have more room for neurons to operate on the cerebellum without having to expand the skull to unmanageable proportions, sort of like Andy Williams. The little crevices are called sulci and the ridges between them are called gyri.

Incidentally, one of the most popular sets of names for twins in ancient Greek science fiction was Sulci and Gyri. [1]

So, the more wrinkles you have, the more intelligent you are. That is why old people are smart enough to be grandparents, even if we aren’t. We’ve got the wrinkles.

John Robert McFarland

1] This is not true. It was inserted by Autocorrect, which is the modern source of all sins, sort of like the snake in Eden used to be.

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I used to keep a careful index of all the things I told in this blog so that I would not repeat. That has become unwieldy. Now I just trust to… what’s it called… oh, yes, memory. Sorry about repeats.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, in 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment