Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR [T, 4-21-20]



“DAILY” DEVOTIONAL—Listening for the Spirit
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR     [T, 4-21-20]




Yesterday I mentioned that when I have to give my name at a restaurant, I don’t use John, because there are too many Johns. They all try to get my food when my name is called. I use Ambrose, because there aren’t any of them, I’m sure. Except at a new restaurant in Bloomington called The Hive. Must be at least one there. The chef.

“The Hive” was a famous sermon by Ambrose, about how the Kingdom of God is like a bee hive. Indeed, the sports teams at St. Ambrose University, in Davenport, Iowa, are called The Bees.

I’m not sure it was that particular sermon, but Augustine of Hippo heard Ambrose preach when he went to Rome and was converted from his libertine ways and became St. Augustine.

That was not according to the plan of Monica, Augustine’s mother, though. She was a devout Christian and was dismayed that her son was such a wanton playboy, with nothing but pleasure on his mind. She prayed and prayed that he would be converted. Prayer not answered.

Instead, Augustine wanted even more decadence. He decided to go to Rome, the capital of decadence, to get it. So, Monica prayed and prayed that God would prevent Augustine from going to Rome. Prayer not answered.

Or was it? Because when Augustine went to Rome, he heard Ambrose preach, and he was converted. That was what Monica really wanted.

We should be careful about directing God as we pray. Maybe “not my will but thine be done” is enough.

JRMcF

No comments:

Post a Comment