Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

TAKE WHAT THE LORD GIVES [T, 4-28-20]


“DAILY” DEVOTIONAL-Looking for the Spirit
TAKE WHAT THE LORD GIVES                  [T, 4-28-20]



This story has been going around again in various forms.

A big flood came. The water was up over the porch. The homeowner went up to the second story. A police car came by and offered to take him out. “No, I believe in God. The Lord will protect me.”

The water went up to the windows. A boat came by and offered to take him out. “No, I believe in God. The Lord will protect me.”

The water was up over the second story windows. The man went up to the roof. A helicopter came and lowered a rope down. “No,” he said, “I trust in God. The Lord will protect me.”

The water went over his head and he drowned. In heaven he encountered God. “God, I trusted in you. Why didn’t you save me?”

“Well, I heard you, so I sent a police car and a boat and a helicopter!”

God is sending protection now in the form of masks and distances and isolation. Those are not just mandates from the governor. They are means that God is using to protect us. Let us give thanks for those who know the ways to protect ourselves and others, and encourage us to use those ways, for they are the instruments of God’s protection.

JRMcF

After I posted this, I walked, and while walking, I thought: That “devotional” isn’t. It’s not going to lead anyone into deeper realms of the spirit. Everybody knows that story already and what I said about it is so mundane. I apologize if you have already read it… oh…


Anyway, please do me a favor and think up something more deep and spiritual to put in its place. If that doesn’t work, sing “Woke up this morning with my mind, stayed on Jesus” a few times. That’s always helpful to me, and the lyrics are easy to remember. “Allelu, allelu, alleluia.”

No comments:

Post a Comment