Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, April 19, 2020

MY CONTRIBUTION AGAINST THE VIRUS [Sun, 4-19-20]


Christ In Winter: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Times of Winter
MY CONTRIBUTION AGAINST THE VIRUS    [Sun, 4-19-20]

 I am sheltering in place. “Stuck” at home. Nothing to do. In the high-risk category=really, really, old + diabetes, cholesterol, & curmudgeonliness. The entire world is worried about me. So, the entire world is trying to entertain me. And inspire me. And comfort me. And assure me. And get me “through.” Include me in the “we.”


With concerts. Art shows. Games. Puzzles. Lists. Cartoons. Books read. Books suggested. Recipes. Paintings. Instructions. Old songs. New songs. Worship. Inspirational sayings. Poems. Prayers. Cartoons. Lists. Stories. Essays. Magazine articles. Newspaper columns. Math problems. Quizzes. Assignments. Workouts. Ceremonies. Strange musical instruments. Family bands. Photos. Memories. Funny jokes. Not very funny jokes.

I am overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with joy at the concern by others for my health and wellness. And overwhelmed with too much good stuff.

It’s like Christmas morning at our house, with a bunch of women who shop for and plan for and buy for and wrap for and cook for and freeze for it, throughout the other 364 days of the year. So many wrappings surround me and pile upon me that I can no longer see the dog, even though I know it is on my lap, unless the dog has been replaced by a new coffee pot or solar power abremelyzer of equal weight and length. [No, I don’t know what that is, either, but I’m pretty sure I got one.]

Please don’t get me wrong. If I had children at home, I would want all the help I could get in dealing with them. If I had other folks to care for, folks who need inspiration and entertainment, I would be thankful for the songs and sayings. So, I am totally fine with all those good things running around in the e-sphere, on Twitter and YouTube and all the other e-places, because I know other people need them. You go, Facebook! But don’t worry about me.

I recognize the hypocrisy. After all, I write something every day and offer it to others. But it’s really for myself, to find out what I’m thinking. And it could hardly be called inspirational or educational or entertaining.

I say all this because I feel guilty about not taking advantage of all this delightful and free entertainment and learning and inspiration. I mean, it’s there. We should be grateful. People are working hard to share. God bless them. It seems wrong just to scroll on by.

But it’s okay to leave me out. Everyone has a contribution to make as we try to ride this out together. My contribution at this point is to be sure that there is one person you don’t have to worry about entertaining or inspiring or educating. I’ve got all I need. I’m quite content with “A pot of coffee, a dozen cookies, and Thou beside me, singing in the wilderness.” [1]

John Robert McFarland

1] Please forgive me, Omar Khayyam.  

1 comment: