Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, June 6, 2024

GIVING PERMISSION TO SUPPORT DEMOCRACY [R, 6-6-24]

BEYOND WINTER: The Irrelevant Musings of an Old Man—GIVING PERMISSION TO SUPPORT DEMOCRACY [R, 6-6-24]

 


In 1967, I preached a sermon titled “Oxen, Field, And Viet Nam.” [1]

It was based on Jesus’ story of “The Great Banquet.” [2] One by one, the invited guests used an excuse for not coming. “I have a new wife.” [Family is my excuse for skipping your banquet.] “I just bought 6 yoke of oxen and have to try them out.” [Oxen were power in those days, so he was saying, Getting more power is my excuse for skipping your banquet.] The third said, “I just bought a field and have to examine it.” [Getting more stuff is my excuse for skipping your banquet.] [3]

Like almost every other American citizen in the early 1960s, I supported American intervention in Viet Nam, because of the reasons given us by our government. It was going to be a short war, they told us, because our cause was righteous, and by fighting Commies there we wouldn’t have to fight them when they invaded our own shores, and we had the most powerful military in the world. Sounded good. Sounded reasonable.

Boys who were sent to fight in Viet Nam came back and told very different stories about why we were there and what was really going on. I was in campus ministry, so I heard those different stories before most people did. I had to begin to re-examine my position, my reasons, my excuses for supporting that war without really thinking about it.

I knew that the people of First Methodist Church in Normal, Illinois were unanimous in their support of the war. I knew I would get into trouble for questioning our presence in Viet Nam. But I came to the conclusion that I had to make a witness.

I learned that some people in the congregation who heard me began to call others and say, “You need to hear this sermon.” That meant reading it. I didn’t usually use a manuscript, but I did when preaching about controversial subjects, like race and war, so that I could prove exact what I said. And more importantly, what I did not say. People asked for copies, so we mimeographed it. It began to circulate widely.

My witness did not persuade anyone, but it gave others permission. To look at things differently. Witness is always, I think, more about permission than persuasion.

We need to make a witness now. Before November. To give people who are willing to give up on democracy permission to think again. We need to give people who are persuaded by lies and fear permission to think again. We need to give people who think “it’s us against them” permission to think again. We need to give them permission to think beyond the usual excuses.

In the parable Jesus told, when those invited to the banquet made excuses not to come, the host told his servants, “Go to the streets and alleys and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame. Not one of those who made an excuse will get a taste of my banquet.”

John Robert McFarland

1] It was published in The Pulpit Digest.

2] Luke 14:15-24, Matthew 22:1-14.

3] It was almost like the story of the college girls dormitory, back when there was only one telephone on a dorm floor. The girls had posted a list of excuses they could use if an undesirable guy called for a date. “Have to wash my hair.” “Have to study.” “My parents are coming.” Etc. One girl got flustered as she read the list to find an excuse and said, “Oh, number 9.”


I probably should not use the title Christ In Winter anymore, since its assumption is that the writer cares about the readers. In fact, the real title now is Beyond Winter, which means the writer is an old man and beyond caring. But I don’t know how to change the CIW title up above, and if anyone looks for this column online, they’ll probably search for CIW, so…

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Democracy is at risk in the United States. We have courts in the United States acting like the courts in undemocratic places. Tactic # 1 in undemocratic places - jail your political opponent. Recently someone was given 34 felonies for covering up sex. You have got to be kidding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, David. Thanks for weighing in.

      Delete
  2. Donald Trump was supposed to be sentenced today. I guess the judge must have realized that lawfare is an interference in our presidential election.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I can't assume anything. The Four Agreements says so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 34 felonies for consensual sex. We don't even know if there was even any sex. There weren't any stains preserved on any garments. And why is sex such such a bad thing? We all got here because of it. I was taught that intimacy should only occur in marriage. However, it's not a crime to have an affair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The non-disclosure-agreements (NDAs) involved in Trump's case are legal documents. Their usage should have been respected. Michael Cohen should never have gone to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the allegations in the case happened before Donald Trump was even president.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was never any Russian collusion. No one has ever apologized for the false allegations. Well, maybe there was Russian collusion. Bernie Sanders honeymooned in Russia. Comrade Bernie is still in the Senate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, the dirty dossier that Hillary Clinton funded is Russian collusion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I meant Michael Cohen, not Carter Page. My point is that the Steele Dossier is full of falsehoods. It was used to spy on Carter Page. People vouched for it's veracity before FISA courts. Those who vouched for it's authenticity haven't been held accountable whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael Cohen was never in Prague, despite what the Steele dossier alleges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who really cares about Erik Prince being in the Seychelles

    ReplyDelete