Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, June 16, 2024

ORDINARY DAYS [Sun, 6-16-24]

BEYOND WINTER: The Irrelevant Musings of an Old Man—ORDINARY DAYS [Sun, 6-16-24]

 


Some folks say you should live each day as though it is the last day of your life. Others say that you should live each day as though it is the first day [of the rest] of your life. I find that confusing, so I try to live each day not as last or first, but as just ordinary.

On an ordinary day, I treat others as I would like to be treated.

On an ordinary day, I forgive others as I am forgiven.

On an ordinary day, I take food to the hungry and water to the thirsty.

On an ordinary day, I visit the sick and imprisoned.

On an ordinary day, I go the extra mile.

On an ordinary day, I think on these things: whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy.

I’m so old and decrepit now that “I’m declining faster than I can lower my standards,” so I can’t do many of these things in person. But paying and praying and thanking, to support others in these works, can be part of an ordinary day, too.

On an ordinary day, faith, hope, and love abide, these three, but the greatest of these is love.

John Robert McFarland

1 comment:

  1. Ordinary suits you well!! And most of us honestly if we'd only embrace it!!

    ReplyDelete