Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

FOR ASH WEDNESDAY, A POEM BY BILLY COLLINS [W, 2-14-18]



It is possible that I am transgressing Billy’s copyright, but since I am telling you that Billy is my favorite poet, and that this poem appears on page 57 of Aimless Love, and urging you to buy that book, or any of the other books of Billy’s poems, I hope he’ll forgive me, which would be an appropriate thing for him to do on Ash Wednesday.

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

FLOCK

It has been calculated that each copy of
the Gutenberg Bible …required the
skins of 300 sheep

--from an article on printing

I saw them squeezed into the holding pen
behind the stone building
where the printing press is housed,

all of them squirming around
to find a little room
and looking so much alike

it would be nearly impossible
to count them,
and there is no telling

which one will carry the news
that the Lord is a shepherd,
one of the few things they already know.


No comments:

Post a Comment