Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, February 2, 2018

THE GOSPEL BUS IS COMING [F, 2-2-18]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith and Life for the Years of Winter…

THE GOSPEL BUS IS COMING                                            [F, 2-2-18]
[To the tune of “Folsom Prison Blues,” by Johnny Cash]

One of my favorite sermon stories comes from my Garrett seminary buddy, Ed Tucker. He had a friend who got a job with the CTA, The Chicago Transit Authority. In orientation, the leader asked, “What is the one promise the CTA makes to our customers?” Well, it obviously was not clean buses or sober drivers. “This is our one promise,” he said. “If you are in the right place, and you stay there long enough, a bus will come.”

The gospel bus is coming
Coming down the road
It’s gonna pick up everyone
Who has a heavy load
Yes, the gospel bus is coming
It comes for me and you
The gospel bus is coming,
That is news that’s good and true

The gospel bus is coming
I can feel it in my bones
It’s rocking and it’s rolling
As I stand here all alone
The gospel bus is coming
Coming ‘round the bend
Get on board, little children
That bus is full of friends

The gospel bus is coming
Folks are singing loud and strong
They know it’s time for hoping high
God’s forgiven all their wrongs
Everybody’s waving at us
They say it’s time to get on board
That bus is full of sinful saints
And it’s driven by the Lord

I’ve been standing here a long time
No one else around
White buds turned to green leaves
And now those leaves are brown
But I know the bus is coming
Even though it’s slow
The Gospel bus is coming
It’s time for me to go

JRMcF

I tweet occasionally as yooper1721.

I used to keep a careful index of topics and stories so that I would not bore readers with repeats. But that became cumbersome, and since this blog is primarily for folks in the winter of their years, I figure they won’t be able to remember if they’ve heard it before, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment