Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, February 5, 2018

LAST LEG- poem [Monday, 2-5-18]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter…


Yesterday, on my birthday
my body reported that I am old
Not so my brain

unless you count
its inability to explain
the absence of my second shoe

You would think if one shoe
is present, so would the other be
Not so

Or perhaps I have only one leg
and have not yet noticed
that lopsided fact

That is a likely scenario
if you are a poet
for poets think that way

And in my elderly naiveté,
I think that way
even though I cannot rhyme

missing shoe with missing you
But second-childhood
has an innocence, too

just like the first one
save in a wrinkled casing
on its last leg

JRMcF

I tweet as yooper1721.


No comments:

Post a Comment